Policy Against Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, and Retaliation
General Policy Statement
Colorado Technical University, (hereinafter "the University" or "School") does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
Harassment, whether verbal, physical or visual, that is based on any of these characteristics, is a form of discrimination. This includes harassing conduct affecting tangible educational benefits, interfering unreasonably with an individual's academic performance, or creating what a reasonable person would perceive is an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment.
Additional information regarding the University's prohibitions against sex discrimination including sexual harassment, quid pro quo sexual harassment, hostile environment sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking as well as disability discrimination are set and in the policies linked below.
While the University is committed to the principles of free inquiry and free expression, discrimination and harassment identified in this policy are neither legally protected expression nor the proper exercise of academic freedom.
Examples of discrimination and harassment may include (but are not limited to):
- refusing to offer educational opportunities to someone because of the person's protected status;
- making a grading decision because of the person's protected status;
- jokes or epithets about another person's protected status;
- teasing or practical jokes directed at a person based on his or her protected status;
- the display or circulation of written materials or pictures that degrade a person or group based upon a protected characteristic; and
- verbal abuse or insults about, directed at, or made in the presence of an individual or group of individuals in a protected group.